Thursday, September 6, 2012

This is the ugly


Remember a few posts ago about having several ugly workouts.  I guess it is time to talk about this UGLY. 

I had a really hard time recovery from the Ogden Marathon in May.  Granted, I ran a 13-minute PR and pushed my body to its very limits.  Of course, it would take time to recover.  Mentally I needed to recover, as well as physically. 

I took what I thought was an appropriate amount of time off and then started active recovery.  But during that active recovery, I pulled a tendon on the bottom of my foot, which left me really resting for additional 10 days. 

As I started running again, I noticed a slight achiness above my left ankle.  I attributed it having taken time off and the muscles and tendons were sore and weak.  This pain would come and go and I was able to continue training. 

In 4 weeks, I have the St George Marathon.  One more intense week of training and 3 taper weeks.  So close that I can almost taste it.

BUT (the big B.U.T.)  during my long run last week, the ache in my ankle intensified and never went away.  It was the same feeling I had 2 years ago.  A feeling that every runner knows will cost them 8-12 weeks of insanity.  The stress fracture ache.

My doctor confirmed the "ache" by stating "that fuzzy stuff right there on your ankle....it isn't suppose to be there" when he looked at the X-ray.  3 weeks in a boot.  Then I can walk.  And depending on the pain level, I can start a walk/run program with physical therapy exercises.

Telling a runner not to run is like taking the air out of a balloon.  The balloon just doesn’t work.  And I just don’t work when I don’t run.  Running is my “catch-all” stress reliever.  Some people shoot up drugs.  Or drink.  Or eat.  Or whatever.  I prefer leave my stresses along the streets of American Fork.  And some days, I am on those roads for hours leaving my trail of junk behind.

But right now….it is what it is.  I can’t fix my bone.  I have to let nature run its course and let it heal on its own.  But I’m sad.  When I can’t run, I feel like I don’t fit in with my circle of running friends.  I’m sure they will laugh when they read that.  They will always be my friends, but I feel like I can’t be in the club because I'm not running.  I will read race reports with envy and watch runners on the side of the road with animosity. 

We have trials to learn from them.  This is my trial right now.  For those of you who know me well, know I truly love to run.  The power of running flows through my veins. 

So long 4:00am runs.  So long compression socks.  Running shoes…I will see you in a few weeks.  Gu’s…please don’t expire. 

I need to catch up on life and on some sleep.  I need to help my kids plunk out songs on the piano (YES...I did just start 3 kids in piano lessons).  I have a million raspberries that I need to pick in my garden.  My sewing room is busting with fabric that needs to be sewn.  My shutters need to be wiped down.  My kids are already talking about Halloween costumes and Christmas lists.  Life moves on and injuries force us to have balance. 

Soon enough, I'll be back lacing up the Asics.

No comments:

Post a Comment