Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Family Cow

Several years ago, our church offered a family relations class to all members with children.  Tim and I took the class.  We were amazed by the instructors; our current bishop and his wife.  WOWZERS...did we learn a lot of valuable parenting stuff from those two.

They told us the  story of their family cow.  The "cow" had to be milked every day.  Fed every day.  Taken care of every day.  Whether they were tired or sick or just plain lazy.  They do all these chores everyday because the cow provides a lot of valuable "stuff" (milk...butter...cream...beef).

The bishop related this "cow" to piano lessons.  Piano lessons are a pain to do everyday.  BUT they provide lots of valuable "stuff".  This little life lesson about hard work.  Sometimes we have to do things we don't like.  But we do it because it is good for us.

SO the Barlow family bought a cow to learn one aspect of hard work.  To learn about music and all of its benefits.

And piano lessons started last week.  I think I had to psych myself up more than the kids.

(excuse the blurry iphone picture)

Practicing has been one extra thing to do each day.  But I'm excited that we are learning about quarter notes and forte/piano.  Someday, I hope to look back when my children are playing beautiful hymns and know this was all worth it.  But for now, I'm listening to bad versions of "Peter Peter Pumpkkin-Eater".

1 comment:

  1. Let me warn you.

    There are five kids in my family. Each of us was required to take piano lessons from age 8-18. We were required to practice EVERY day for 45 minutes (including summers), had 45 minute weekly lessons as well as a 45 minute theory lesson weekly. We had the best teachers in the area. We participated in recitals and other performances at least every other month. There were lots of tears, fights, and drama involved.

    Now that all five of us are adults, only one can play the piano. At all.

    All your hard work might not pay off. It's incredibly disappointing to my poor mother.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete