Saturday, September 6, 2014

More Summer Stuff

Tim and I were asked to be Ma's and Pa's on our Stake Trek.  We drove in a bus to Martin's Cove, WY.  We then received our handcart and had to put our 17lbs of belongings into the cart.  We had to push our handcarts as the pioneers did when they were on their way to Utah.  The Martin and Willie Handcart Companies left later in the season and came across some difficult times.  We heard a lot of their stories on our trek and came to appreciate their sacrifices more.


We had to cross the Sweet Water River.  I was grateful it wasn't 10 degrees below zero and pillow-sized ice chunks floating down the river.  There was a young man playing his violin on the other side of the river while we crossed.  I was an emotional wreck!

This is our Trek family.  We wore pioneer clothes the entire 3 days (including bloomers for the girls...yikes)!

In addition to our vegetable garden, I planted a cutting garden this year.  It's been very exciting to cut fresh flowers all the time!

In addition to running camp, the kids also did 4 weeks of swimming lessons.  Though they complained about it, they had a lot of fun and really improved their swimming skills!






One of my favorite athlete's is Olympic marathoner Kara Goucher.  I've followed her for years and when I read she was having a running retreat, I knew I had to be there.  The weekend included group runs, classes on hydration, nutrition, core, pilates, and not comparing yourself to others.  I met some amazing women and left feeling inspired.

Here I'm standing with Kara and Sally (the CEO of Oiselle - Kara's sponsor)



Group runs through a vineyard.


Our last morning of the retreat.  I felt like I was in my happy place being with so many other talented women and runners.  I could talk running and not feel like a dork!  Kara was as amazing in person as she is on camera.  I'm definitely a better person for attending!

No comments:

Post a Comment