I have this love/hate relationship with Mother's Day. I LOVE to celebrate all those amazing women out there who have Mother Hearts. They are among the elite of this life!
But when I think of myself as a mother....well, I think of last week. All the kids were getting ready for bed. I had ONE daughter who was supposed to be taking a shower and putting on her CLEAN pajamas. Instead, she was putting on her DIRTY underwear and socks. I asked her once politely to please go retrieve CLEAN clothing. This proceeded to a whine fest. I totally won the "mother of the year" award and I hollered at her to PLEASE get clean clothing. This all went down, while Tim was talking with a neighbor at the front door. Sweet....they all heard me.
Then, I've missed several soccer games, gymnastics meets, etc because I've been running across Utah County on Saturday mornings. Again, Mother of the YEAR!
I don't make a big breakfast every day. We don't practice spelling words nearly enough. I was told last week that I have a big belly (mom...you look pregnant...I'm not, but have remnants of bearing children and too many cokes). My son told me I don't play games with him. And apparently, Dad does all the laundry and makes better smoothies. My dance parties are okay and I can clean a toilet. I have crazy hair too.
So I guess, Mother's Day makes me remember all the things I need to work on as a Mother. I've got a long list!
LOL! I think you are just fine :) And the kids do, too. The little stinkers!
ReplyDeleteOh how this resonates with me SO much! I never had a 'good' mother and always kind of hated playing the "you're the best mom" game on Mothers day. I think I just constantly feel like my kids feel the same way: "Gotta tell our mean, ornery, grumpy, no fun, yucky cooking, never watching us, doesn't play with me mom she is the best or else I'll get yelled at again or told that I ruined her day!" So, I just always think about what horrible things I do wrong and how I don't really deserve to be a mom to these 4 amazing kiddos, because I'm too mean and self-centered. Let's get together and commiserate Friday for dinner :)
ReplyDeleteA late Happy Mother's Day to you!! I went on a trip with Karlie to Europe and got home on Monday. Last night Theo said that he thinks I should go back to Europe because Dad is nicer and he liked it when Dad was helping him with homework and doing the dinner thing. Okay, then, maybe I will! Ha ha! You are a great mother, Toby!!!
ReplyDelete