Sunday, November 27, 2011

Turkey Trotting

We ran our annual turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning!  Thankfully it was 35 degrees warmer this year than last.  Only 1 shirt and tights were required.

The main goal for the race was to have fun!  I've run enough "races" that I planned on running with my brother/sister in law Mike and Mandy and Tim. 



Carter has been bugging me for weeks about running the turkey trot.  So we finally signed him up!  We went to the track on a Saturday morning and practiced.  Our main goal was to start slow and finish strong!



Carter took off in a fast sprint trying to keep up with the first boys.  I knew we were in trouble from the start (especially racing Sasha's son!!!).  After the turnaround, I saw him start to walk and cry.  I started to walk up toward him (knowing that he had totally burned out) - I told him he needed to jog/run to the finish and not to quit. I have this internal conflict of pushing my son too hard and teaching him that we don't quit when things are hard.  It is a fine line.


 I ate two donuts on the way home...it totally negated the race!

1 comment: